Music: vernacular of the soul


dj

Thursday, April 10, 2008

(graphic photos ahead.They're at the very end, so don't scroll down if you're squeamish)

hit this link
Sometimes there are moments when you realize just how much it is you take for granted
I was flipping channels yesterday and came across a documentary on HBO entitled, The Greatest Silence: Rape in The Congo



Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan
there really are no words
How bad does a soul have to break for someone to lose their sense of humanity?
How do you explain to a five year old girl that due to her savage rape, she can never have kids?
How can a husband tell his kids that their mother WANTED to be raped?

So many questions
and i have no answers

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead

They showed a wing of the clinic specifically designated for rape trauma victims and........
woooooow
ages ranging from TWO to women in their EIGHTY'S!!!!!!




The pops, lil bro and i just sat in front of the television
utter disbelief
awe
anger
helplessness
disgust

I know especially as an American, i take so many things as a given
There are so many worries that others have that wouldn't even cross my mind

Out of sight is too often out of mind
So


SEE

FEEL



































WORDS ARE NEVER ENOUGH







Rape of the world-Tracy Chapman

32 public opinion:

t.r.b said...

i remember reading a fiction novel the title escapes me, but it was about a u.s. soldier/boxer who ends up in africa and falling in love with this cosmopolitan young woman. but despite her family's wealth, tradition called for her to be mutilated and it scarred her deeply, and after they had married and had a daughter of their own, she did all she could to make him leave her and take their child so she wouldn't have to suffer. powerful stuff. good post;)

Anonymous said...

This is something. I don't think about this type of thing happening to people. And I never can understand how someone can inflict such pain on others. And the picture... no words.

Wow. I think you hit something here.

Anonymous said...

I wanna say I saw that documentary but I haven't had HBO in minute. I did see something similar, if not the same, and I just sat there speechless and stunned.

Sha Boogie said...

That is so disturbing. No words. SMH.

The Jaded NYer said...

you hear about it, but damn, those pictures... I'm beside myself right now...

Queen of My Castle said...

Those pics have rendered me breathless. So horrid.

Jinta said...

war, it is said, turns us into animals.

personally, i think some find it more difficult than others to suppress the evil in them and use chaotic circumstances like war to indulge what is innately evil and vile within them

Anonymous said...

"humanity" sometimes utterly disgusts me , If you can do that t o a human being to your own fucking land to your future,, you deserve and should get the worst kind of death and the lowest torture thinkable in hell for all eternity. Fuck forgiveness and turn the other cheek, here and Dafur is where big brother can go and spend time wasting money at not in Iraq where all we did was be unwelcomed, unappreciated and do the dirty work of rich white men trying to get richer..... round them motherfuckers up in there and take all the weaponry for good measure.... and them fucking governments can go kick rocks too if your women and children are not humans enough to be cared for and protected then a coup d'etat can't come soon e-fucking-nough


ughh, this type of atrocity, impunity and the big fat blind eye that it takes for it all too happen make me sick

LaLa simply ME said...

And so im humbled once again....

12kyle said...

wow


i dunno what else to say.

lea78 said...

Damn I seriously have no words for that, none whatsoever. My heart goes out to anyone who had to suffer through something like that. you body could heal but sometimes the mind isn't that easy

Desy said...

i remember seeing documentaries on this as well as hearing accounts on female circumcision... for every great beauty that occurs in this world... remember there is a balance

thanks for boostin awareness dej...

Jackie E. said...

I TRULY am speechless.... I have no words to describe what my mind is thinking and my heart is feeling right now!! The pictures really bring it home....

kit von b. said...

wtfffffffffffffffffffffff.

-KB

Mizrepresent said...

I was reading and comprehending, but your pics, well...like the others left me breathless and so very angry and sad. There is absolutely no justification for this, this is beyond rape...and senseless. So senseless...this is why, i sometimes ask WHY?

who? said...

sorta... kinda... speechless...

= /

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

Damn. yep, folks never appreciate what they have until its too late

Anonymous said...

Out of sight is definitely out of mind.

I ache for these women and children.

Pan/Thanatos said...

Very graphic, as it needs to be to convey what's really going on. I think it's more than just "out of sight, out of mind". The global perspective on women is partially to blame as well.

Don said...

Well I can't say that you didn't warn me...

*body shiver*

CHA CHA said...

I'm completely speechless!!!

Anonymous said...

OH MY GAWD.....so many emotions went thru my mind as I saw this...i cant understand or wrap my mind around such cruelty and logic....

wow==just no words

NaijaScorpio said...

Shit!!!! That was brutal. I've read about stuff like that from real women that it happened to. But to actually see images gives it a whole new meaning.

Why????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

guerreiranigeriana said...

wasn't expecting a post like this one...damn...good reminder of work that needs to be done...has to be done...

...it is heartbreaking how inhumane we can be at times...like desy said...for all the beauty, there is ugliness to balance it...

Brittany said...

I am like everyone else. I have no words. So sad.

Edirin said...

wow omg, im really really speechless, i hope i can sleep well tonight

Rashan Jamal said...

You said they were graphic, but I was thinking how bad could they be... they were that bad. Nice change of pace post.

mp1 said...

I've been trying to catch this, but keep missing it. I'm gonna search for it with the dvr now.

Americans....we don't know a damn thing about what the world is going through. It's pitiful

dejanae said...

yep guys
some fucked up shit goin on in this world
thnx for reading and commenting

Maria said...

thanks for this post, D! violence against women is one of those issues that easily gets swept under the rug and it's important to keep this sad reality in the forefront of our minds.

1/3 said...

wow....I will never understand the cruelty we(people) have towards each other...smh

Anonymous said...

You know this was the entry that scared me for a long time....those pics, didnt want to have sex ever again....-NYAmicas