Music: vernacular of the soul


dj

Monday, April 7, 2008

Happy Anniversary

This is my hundredth post
cue fireworks


Unfortunately its gon be a bootleg one

refried beans-rhyme revisited type stuff
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


she said
she loved him
and her name was Lyric
he said
i aint want no conversation
but she thought they were makin love cuz the moves,
they mimicked
and she swore he could touch her soul and like waters wade in it
irony
cuz she was sleepin with dogs so she got ensnared like a
runaway slave caught
and now she's screamin to God
why u aint trouble them waters?
pause
waitin on a response from the lord she rephrased her question
why you aint swing your chariot low to carry me home?
cuz im lost without you
i'm troubled in my mind and my spirit's weary aint got nowhere to go
sure can't... return back home
heard talk of a balm in Gilead
Can it restore my soul?
mend my heart and
render me whole cuz
im shattered and broken
spirit arrested while waiting on that token
of mercy
as they stare and they whisper
Y'all heard bout Lyric?
yeah that fast tailed lil girl got herself with child
Lord they speak on things they do not know and noone
(i saw pa in Church Sunday he looked right thru me
ma?...ma she had sadness in her eyes but
she passed me by ..)
Noone knows but so much conjecture
Lord i aint yet reached that point
cant utter them words
no..."Forgive them Lord for they know not what they do"
I am not yet that strong
I want destruction visited upon their heads like the
like the ten plagues of Egypt
one
for every man they had the nerve to claim i've slept with
aint it funny how sometimes we find the worst ones in church?
same ones
who'll catch the ghost and
trail tears behind your hearse
be the ones who spread lies that bind with no care of the harm
to heart
or mind
But as she screams in pain
ramshackle cottage her resting place
with her last breath she releases her daughter's name
Mercy
and prays
for absolution


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


if i give u my heart, will i get it back broken?
see my insecurities lie just under the surface but roots dig deep
these are not the cursory worries that people have of giving of themselves
i've had hopes shattered too often to dream
don't get me wrong
i'm not searching for pity
a life of regrets doesn't offer much for the soul but i don't think i can afford to take the chances that others do
giving all too much of myself and always seeming to play the recurring role of the fool
so before you offer me platitudes of how you'll never make me cry and how you see the future in my eyes
cut the crap and tell me something real
i only consider it romance if the words are actualized
like dreams never realized and love never materialized
almost doesn't count
never did

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I know yall love my assignments
so here goes:
1. What's your fave song off the playlist
2. Listen to atleast one song on my playlist that you haven't heard already
then give an HONEST opinion of it
3. Recommend an Artist or song to me that you think i may not have heard



Im mad i did a 1500 hour utter about the weekend with moms but the sound was inaudible so....
yeah that's for tomorrow

30 public opinion:

kit von b. said...

im close to my 100th post too!

fav song in the playlist prolly dont be cruel lol. i love vintage bobby...

i'll listen to that floetry joint when i get home.

-KB

Still Patrice said...

congrats chic!
i dont get to listen to you rotation, im a mobile blogger :)

t.r.b said...

honestly, i've heard every song on your playlist....even funkin for jamaica! and the swayze.....that is one good looking playlist too....not queen and monie with ladies first? you got the jams.

shazam, you've probably hear it all (no sunshine anderson? that was the jam), so i'll just say tracie spencer tender kisses. i love that song too much;)

*i love that cool corner though- add anita's angel and it would be perfecto.

mp1 said...

Congrats. I remember when you were just a wee blogger. Now you're a wee bit taller.

Daps and hugz

1/3 said...

Congrats on your 100th post! I'm no where near it lol guess i need to post more lol

Anyway as usual love your bootleg poetry:-)

Assignment time! lol

Um you have too many of my favs on your playlist!!

Tempted to touch..I think I heard it before but never listened to it. Its cool:-)

Um I think you'd like Jasmine Sullivan. Check her out:-)

Mandy said...

Wow 100 post?!?. I don't think I have 10 posts lol.

I love your poems! I wish I was that talented. Your giving 1/3 a run for her money lol.

My favorite song on your play list is Ready for love by India.Arie. Its very powerful and beautiful.

I've never heard of little brother but their song is good.Very Lupe esq. I gotta check them out.

I don't know many new artists but I think you might like Janae Monae...i think that's her name lol.

Congrats again!

who? said...

Fav Song: Miss Fat Booty

I never listened to India.Arie's Ready For Love... I liked it. A real smooth song... far from an instant fav tho...

J*DaVeY, Baby! you need to check them out. I recommend "Trickle Down Sid" but they got alot of hotness to go around... and Mishal Moore. My fav song from her is "Today" I like those two acts... I'm sure you will to

Eb the Celeb said...

Congrats...

I think I might name one of my chillren (i meant to spell it that way) lyric or sonnet or prose...lol

Unknown said...

congrats on the 100th

fav song: art of storytellin 4; 3000 killed it!!

I really liked that "Makeda" by Les Nubians...I thought 4 years of french but still have no idea what the hell they are saying!! sounds goods though lol

and i agree with canon, check out JDavey, they are the shit!! Check out "Slow" and "Red Light"

dessex said...

my favorite song on my play is brotha by jill scott

and i highly recommend Wale. He is dope, great hip hop

The Jaded NYer said...

Yay, 100th Post!!!

Now, to the assignment:
1. What's your fave song off the playlist

Infiltrate - Sean Paul (I want to have all his babies)

2. Listen to at least one song on my playlist that you haven't heard already then give an HONEST opinion of it

For Real - Amel Larrieux... I've heard other songs by her and have liked them; this is definitely a smooth groove, but the lyrics are a bit sappy (just the way I secretly like them lol)

3. Recommend an Artist or song to me that you think i may not have heard

Hmmm... your playlist makes me think you're pretty well-rounded in terms of music, but I'll take a chance and recommend Ani DiFranco's "Origami" that song is where I got my original blog name from ("not just some sniveling girl") Her songs are true poetry, the only kind I actually get lol

Rashan Jamal said...

Sigh... More homework. You wanted a smart comment. LOL

Favorite Song: There's a bunch. I'll just say for the sake of not listening to the whole list: Dreams by Little Brother. Number 1 fan right here...

Song I never heard before: "Constance" by Mr J Medeiros. It was kinda hot. I liked the production. It's the type of song I hear on the college radio station, but never try to find.

Recommended Artist: I don't know what you haven't heard, but since you are kinda diverse with the music, I'll tell you to check out Sara Bareilles. Just heard her for the first time last week and I'm a fan.

Rashan Jamal said...

Oh yeah, happy 100th. Only 400 more and you'll be on my level. LOL

Roddykat said...

Happy Blogiversery! Congrats on your 100th. You do the Bootleg proud. Could we expect video next?

1. You've got some good one on the playlist. Hip Hop - Dead Prez, Funkin For Jamaica (that one surprised me from you), Amel, and Les Nubians, you're pretty much covering all bases.

2. Yes, that Morgan Heritage song is pretty nice. It reminds me of another song I saw a video for recently, but didn't catch the name of.

3. Can't think of anyone that I hadn't mentioned on my blog or on ED that you might like. If you hadn't, try handsome Boy Modeling School's first album, "So, how's your girl?" or maybe some MF Doom. If yu need them, hit me up.

If I do come across something, you know I'll send it your way.

Don said...

I always listen to your songlist. I usually will see a song and go and look for a download.

1) The Art of Storytellin' (of course). I like Ex-Factor, as well.

2) I would request the Joy Denalane song called Heaven or Hell. Lupe Fiasco's Failure is the bomb song too. And his song Superstar.

Don said...

@ 1/3 and twin sister: unique.

swag_ambassador said...

favorite song on the list? I mean they all go, but when I heard "who is she to you" it made me remember how hard timberlands production has gone in the previous years.

"Constance" by Mr J Medeiros, neva heard it.. liked it though. diff and new to me

artist you would love... darien brockington.. backup for little brother but also has his own cd "somebody to love" .. IF you havent listened to D. Brock b4, nows the time.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your 100th post! May you have at least a 100 more. I remember my 100th post. I never thought I'd get there and now I'm running up on my 500th post.

Nice playlist. I don't have any recommendations though.

Charles said...

Congrats on the 100th post. My jam though which might be up there with the all time favs...Slowly Surely by Jill Scott. Thats on my rotation too. Never heard that Tell Me How Come. I'm feelin it.

lovnlife said...

Congrats Dej!
Beautiful poem

Fav song? Imma go with Bohemian Rhapsody because I love that song!

Never heard that Patrick Swayze...Imma let you keep that. :)

I have any recommendations...clearly I should be asking you!

soumynona said...

I am almost speechless at the depth of your playlist (all comments you have heard before) and your first poem was very deep, this made me think you would have a few more gospel songs on there but I know you have a gospel playlist somewhere => Nonetheless, I was feeling that Lil brother - lovin it. I hadn't heard that Donnell Jones in a minute! Thx for that
To keep with that cool mellow flow you have going, I didnt see any Goapele, Lina, Teena Marie, Corinne Bailey Rae but I know you've got them! It's so hard to believe you are 22

dejanae said...

@karrieb:
listened to it yet?

@paj:
boo

@trb:
ima check for that tender kisses joint
thnnx for checkin out the coolin out corner

@mad-dad:
oh please
stupid.lol
and u aint even do the assignment

@1/3:
thnx for the bootleg poetry love
jasmine sullivan
sounds familiar

@journey:
lol.ull get there
i think u mean jonelle monae.lmao

@canon:
ima go search for them joints

@eb:
lol
u do that

@1980:
lol. I don't understand all of it either. Got the ole man to translate for me

@dessex:
I like the brotha joint too man
Wale. will look dude up

@jadednyer:
Ani Difranco
dont think i've heard of her
thnx for the heads up

@rashan:
ha
i been surpassed ur level
Sara Bareilles
youtube here i come


@roddster:
no video til i get a bootleg cam
im hitting u up
send them joints my way

@don:
Joy Denalane
i think u put me onto her not too long ago

@swag:
will do man
im trustin u
Darien Brockington

@freakadeak:
thnx
no recommendations...
whynahellnot?

@charles:
glad to introduce you to each other

@lov:
thnx hon
haha@ the swayze comment
the song kinda grows on u

@soumy:
woot woot
thnx 4 the compliment man
yeah. ima try to switch out some songs every few weeks
they'll make an appearance eventually

PCD (Pretty Circle Drawer) said...

CONGRATULATIONS MAMA!!!!!!!!

dejanae said...

thnx hon

MsFreshBananaPuddin said...

Happy belated 100th!

dejanae said...

gracias

Don said...

@ dejanae: that Superstar is jammin' like a mofo...

dejanae said...

come on don
u know how i do
lol

p_nami said...

I LOVE that second piece. You are talented as hell.

dejanae said...

awww
thnx hon
continue to shower me with praise
lol